Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Goodbye for Now

We are so grateful for all the love & support we've received over the last few weeks as my Grandpa Ken was very sick.  He was admitted to Harris Methodist on August 12 and moved to a nursing home (Bishop Davies) nearly a week later.  Not too long after being admitted to Bishop Davies, he started receiving hospice care.  All of his immediate family were with him in his final weeks.  My aunt, uncle, and cousins all made 2 flights down from Minnesota in the past few weeks.  It was very bittersweet having our entire family together during this time.  There were plenty of laughs as we remembered funny stories and memories...but also lots of tears as we knew that we would soon be saying "goodbye" to my Grandpa Ken, who passed away this last Saturday, September 4.  Through all our tears and sadness, though, is an incredible peace knowing that this wasn't truly "goodbye."  I am so thankful that my grandfather was a believer and is now in heaven with Jesus.

My sister snapped this picture one night while we were all visiting my grandpa in hospice.  Up until nearly the very end, my grandpa loved bouncing Isaac on his knee and playing with him.  My grandpa absolutely thought the world of Isaac!  Every time I visited him in the hospital and at hospice without Isaac (which was very rare), Grandpa's first question was "How's my boy?"  He also called Isaac "my little rascal."  I'm so glad that my grandpa had nearly a year to know Isaac; though Isaac won't remember his Great-Grandpa Ken, we have lots of pictures to show him someday.

It's still hard for me to believe that my grandpa is no longer here.  Just the other night, Dave & I were talking about how fun this Halloween will be with Isaac!  I told Dave that I couldn't wait to show up on Grandpa & Grandma's doorstep with Isaac for trick or treating....then I paused and realized we won't be able to do that after all.  Though there will be sad days ahead, I'm thankful for all the good times we had with Grandpa Ken. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, Bethany. We just lost my grandma in July 2009 after an extended hospital stay, so I know where you are at. Losing a grandparent is so difficult. I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany, I'm so sorry. I'm glad you had the opportunity to say goodbye. Hugs and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! If you don't have an account, select "anonymous" to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...