On Saturday night, we had a family dinner at our house celebrating my dad's 60th birthday! My uncle grilled an incredible tenderloin, and we had delicious cake from Sweet Memories in Keller. |
I didn't get a lot of pictures, but this picture from when we were all singing "Happy Birthday" makes me laugh! Amanda is sweetly folding her hands, Isaac is licking frosting off his fingers (because he had already swiped some off the cake), and Emma is reaching for some frosting, too. Through it all, my dad smiles and laughs.
And that is SO my dad. No matter how chaotic, stressful, or hard life is, my dad smiles and keeps on. It's one of the characteristics I love the very most about my dad...he has always set such an amazing example of perseverance and contentment. I can honestly say that I have never heard my dad complain once in his life--even through all his heart issues and procedures. It's also incredible to me that my dad doesn't complain when running a business is challenging and work is slow in coming. When months go by without his company winning any new bids, my dad always says, "The Lord will provide." I know many people say that, but my dad truly believes and lives it.
I couldn't count how many times I called my dad crying when my heart was hurting for a baby so much. No matter how busy my dad was, he always made (and still makes) time to listen to me. He would end every conversation with saying, "The Lord knows." He'd also remind me how precious my babies would be when they were here...that I would love them deeply for the extra time David & I spent waiting. He definitely was right. I still cherish the phone calls my dad & I have while he is on the road. But now, my dad loves to hear story after story of what Isaac and Emma are doing. (Of course, knowing me, there are still a few tears sometimes.)
Truly, one of the greatest blessings God ever gave me in my entire life was allowing me to be my dad's daughter.
(I had to go back a few years to find a picture of just my dad and me!)
Happy 60th, Daddy! You are very loved.
No comments:
Post a Comment
We'd love to hear from you! If you don't have an account, select "anonymous" to leave a comment.