Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

This Thanksgiving was very special to me because we were able to spend it with my grandparents/uncles/aunts/cousins + kids that I haven't seen for at least four years! So we drove up to New London, IA (13 hours and a completely different story!).
It was good to see that my grandparents are both getting around pretty well for being in their late 80's.
We arrived on Wed. night and had a huge Thanksgiving feast with Grandma and Grandpa, aunt Dinah, uncle Kevin & aunt Gail, uncle Randy & aunt Avis, my cousin Matt and my second cousin Jim. It was a great evening as Bethany hadn't met Randy and Avis who left us all in stitches and shared some interesting information with us (see poll to the left).

Here's me with my cousins Matt and Ben. I haven't seen Ben since I was in middle school!
Ben and his wife Holly arrived on Thanksgiving night with their two kids Anna and Zach. Zach was a typical boy; bashing, tackling, smashing and punching everything. Here we are with "Hulk gloves" duking it out. At least it kept him from his favorite target- his sister!
Anna couldn't be more of a little princess and Bethany can DEFINITELY relate to that. The only physical contact in their memory matching game was when Zach tried to kick the memory cards all over the place... We discovered that BOTH of the princesses can TACKLE!
Another game we enjoyed with my grandpa and Dinah was Skip-Bo. Dinah won both games, of course. She loved to ask everyone, "I'm the winner, right?"
A trip to Iowa isn't complete without plenty of my grandma's sourdough pancakes! Bethany insisted on a trip to McD's BEFORE this ritual for her own breakfast. (She's not the only one who doesn't like them, though; sourdoughs seem to be an aquired taste in my family.) Here is grandpa and me pounding down just a few. I think I made it up to 8. Grandma still won't tell grandpa my record... which even I've forgotten from many years ago, but some things grandparents never forget.

Bethany was our navigator for the trip, and she somehow found the ONLY Caribou coffee between Ft. Worth and New London. It's in Kansas City just off of I-35 for any of you northerners desperate for it on a long roadtrip down south.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I heard this was a great trip but now I see the pictures which prove it. First of all, Kansas City has everything. I can't believe you didn't stop so I could see you as you drove through!! Let's not let that happen again ok? Second, don't forget that when you play Skip-Bo with Dinah, it's not "Skip-Bo", it's "Skip-TOE" and you don't discard, you discharge! LOL Third, the last time I played memory with Dinah, I couldn't figure out why she was always getting matches and I wasn't. I finally figured out it was because all the matched cards were matched when she laid them down on the floor for me so all the matches were literally right next to eachother. I was going extreme right corner, turning over a card, going to the middle, turning over a card...Dinah was still saying "I'm the winner right Crissy?" LOL And fourth, I remember that you not only hold the record for sourdough pancakes, but Matt holds the record for the most bacon you can put in your mouth at one time. (Ben kept taking bacon off the table and giving it to Matt while he sat on the floor. Poor Matt had no teeth yet so we looked down and his cheeks were bulging. LOL

    I'm enjoying the blog! You said the last time you saw Ben was middle school? When was the last time I saw you?

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! If you don't have an account, select "anonymous" to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...